Ottawa has the opportunity to have one of the greatest debates in the history of municipal government. That is on the issue of official bilingualism at the City of Ottawa.
Of course that won’t happen because Mayor Jim Watson won’t allow official bilingualism at the city. This rather diminishes the great debates on Laurier Avenue during his reign. Here are some of the highlights by way of a Top 10 list:
Top 10 Debates At Ottawa City Council During Jim Watson’s Time As Mayor
10. Coffee or tea?
9. Sod: Kentucky Bluegrass or Tall Fescue?
8. Reworking controversial official bake-sale policy;
7. Gray: Hang or burn at the stake?
6. Should councillors be forced to attend standing committee meetings when important restaurants must be opened?
5. Should emergency evacuations for gas leaks or sinkholes be part of Ottawa 2017 celebrations?
4. Plaques: Five-hundred thousand or three-quarters of a million?
2. Should mayors be forced to read official proclamations or approve flag-raisings before signing off on them?
1. Should Watson give key to the city to himself?
Back to The Bulldog’s home page, click here.
To comment on this post, use the reply box at the bottom of this page.
TODAY ON THE BULLDOG
Return to The Bulldog (Ottawa), Bulldog Canadian or Bulldog Politics.